Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sophie's Big Girl Bed quilt

Hello! I wanted to share a quilt I made for my granddaughter Sophie, who is turning two this Friday. She recently moved up into a big girl bed from her crib. It's not going very well because she insists on coming out of her room in the middle of the night. But once she learned how to get that leg up over the side of her crib and fall crawl out, there was no choice but to put her in a regular bed. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to make her a quilt for the bed since the one I made when she was born is small. I used alot of the same fabrics on this quilt. Her room is painted a beautiful lilac shade of purple.
This was the first time I have made a quilt from 60 degree diamonds. Wow - it takes a lot of precision to join them with the offset seams!
 This is the label I put on the back of the quilt. I used some of my Waltzingmouse stamps for the elements and colored them with copics. I heat set it with an iron.
 The back of the quilt is pieced with 12" squares of the fabric on the front. I am trying to use up scraps.
 I quilted the quilt with free motion hearts all over.
 I used Susie's Magic Binding method for the binding on the front (the narrow purple right by the binding. You can read about this method here. Very easy to do!
 I mitered the borders.

 I will give the quilt to her at her birthday party this Saturday. Hope she likes it!


No comments:

Post a Comment