Friday, February 20, 2015

Stamping on Felt

Hello! I wanted to share a technique that is new to me. I've done alot of work with wool and wool felt. I love Papertrey's 100% wool felt, although they only have a limited amount of colors. Sometimes I have to go to other sources to get the colors I want, and sometimes the percentage of wool is not as high as Papertrey's.
I am getting ready to do a demonstration on wool applique at a quilt show in April, and was trying to come up with a design I could make up into kits to have for sale at the show. I was thinking it would be nice to have pre-cut die shapes in the kit, so I started thinking about all the Papertrey dies I have, and which ones would work well with a simple design.
What I came up with was a simple needle case with a Rosey Posey flower on the front. I cut the flower out of two different pink felts I purchased from Village Mercantile (a booth at a quilt show I attend). The die cuts seemed kind of like a blob - no real definition of the flower. So I thought maybe I would try to stamp the Rosey Posey flower on the felt die cut. I wasn't too sure how well the ink would dry - whether it would smear when I was working with it. So I stamped the image and let it dry overnight. When I rubbed my fingers across it in the morning, it seemed to be dry. I hit it a bit with my heat gun just to make sure the ink was set.

 The first flower was stamped with Berry Sorbet onto the slightly darker pink felt. It really had good contrast, so I decided to leave it as is and just attach it to my felt base with whip stitches. The leaves were cut from a green felt, also from Village Mercantile, and stamped with a slightly darker green. This green ink did not have much contrast, and really did not show up much in the finished product.
 The second flower was stamped with Hibiscus Burst and only made a light impression. I decided to use the faint outlines as a guide to stitch the interior of the flower.
Both sets of leaves were blanket stitched. Which flower do you prefer? I kind of like them both! I think I am going to try out some other Papertrey stamps on felt die cuts - I love the added dimension the stamping gives!

1 comment:

  1. Berry Sorbet on light pink looks awesome!! What a great idea

    ReplyDelete