Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Papertrey Make-It-Monday #111 - Watercoloring Embossed Images

Hello! I am participating in Papertrey's Make-it-Monday #111 this week. Heather Nichols demonstrated how to emboss an image and then watercolor over it in a video on Nicole Heady's blog here. I decided to give this technique a try. I don't pull out my Friendship Jar series stamps often enough, but with the warm weather this week, opening up the buds on the trees and flowers, I thought I'd pull out the hydrangea image and give it a whirl.

I used a bunch of Ranger Distress inks for the watercoloring - Antique Linen & Wild Honey for the background, Faded Jeans and Broken China for the flowers, and Crushed Olive and Simply Chartreuse (PTI) for the leaves. I first embossed the jar and flowers with Versamark ink and White Filagree Embossing powder, then applied the background with an aqua brush and the brown/yellow inks. Then I worked on the blue flowers with the blue and green inks. I over-stamped an Impression Obsession background script over the entire image and went back and softened it with the aqua brush. I mounted the watercolor paper/image to a Blueberry Sky striped patterned paper, then an Enchanted Evening paper, then to a white cardstock base (which I inked the edges with Chai Ink). I tied the bow with some dyed seam binding, then added a small "Happy Summer" sentiment on a Tiny Tag.

Thanks for looking! Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Susan, this is beautiful. The background is so subtle and frames those gorgeous hydranges perfectly. Makes me long for mine to be in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the various colours of blue in the flowers, as well as that script background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty with its shades of blue. I'm thinking of planting a hydrangea bush this spring. If I knew it would look like yours above, I wouldn't hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous card. Love the background. the flowers are so soft and pretty in the blue.

    ReplyDelete