Thursday, April 25, 2013

Embroidering stamped images

Hello! I had an ah-ha moment the other day while browsing Pinterest. I was looking at all kinds of beautiful embroidery designed by an Australian lady - Leanne Beasley. You can find her on her blog here. She has designed many beautiful embroidery patterns and also produces a magazine Vignette, which is all about stitching. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping one or several of her patterns is pretty cost prohibitive here in the U.S. So I got to thinking, what do I have that I can use for patterns for hand embroidery? I'm not an artist, so I can't just sit down and draw them. So the first thing that came into my head was my Papertrey stamps of course. I started going through my stamps and it occurred to me that the Hills series would translate well into stitcheries. So I stamped out the Spring Hills scene and scanned it into my computer to enlarge it. The size I settled on was having the outer rectangle 5 1/4" x 2 1/2". So I printed the enlarged scene out and traced it onto my linen fabric with a disappearing blue pen that washes out with cold water. I used DMC floss - mostly 2 strands - for most of the stitchery. The majority of the scene is done in a backstitch, with the leaves on trees done with one strand in a lazy daisy stitch. The sheep's wool is done in French knots. I am pleased with how it turned out and plan to do all the Hills series and them put them in a pretty quilt.
 
 
I think the next series I would like to do is the Papertrey Year of Flowers. I would like to embroider each flower and stitch them into a quilted wallhanging. I only have 4 of the YOF sets though, so I may have to depend on the generosity of stamping friends to send me stamped images of the rest. The sets I own are: Violets, Sweet Peas, Roses and Marigolds. If you have some of the remaining sets,  would you be able to mail me a stamped image on white cardstock? If you could stamp it in black, that would be great so it will be easy to trace. Thanks so much for your help! I'll post pictures when I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. Totally amazing. I have to try this. My mom embroidered "tea" towels all the time. Sweet memories.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete