Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Yard Birds Sewing case and scissor fob

Hello! I have been working on a fun sewing case for a silent auction my quilt guild is having in June. We are supposed to make something that is chicken related, as the theme of the luncheon is "Hen Party".  I made a couple chicken tea towels first - you can see them in this post here. Then I found a pattern for a sewing case that is all about chickens in a Primitive Quilts magazine I subscribe to. The pattern is Yard Birds on pages 80-84 of the Fall 2012 issue. This turned out so cute, I'm afraid I'll have to make another one for the auction - there's no way I'm giving this one away!

Here is a picture of the outside of the case, when it's all folded up. The rooster, hen and chicks are cut from felted wool that I had in my stash. They are whipstitched down onto the white wool background, and then detailing is added with embroidery.
It measures about 10 1/2" wide by 5" high. Here is a picture of the inside of the case. It's my favorite part! I just love the egg pincushion and the little needle book (red with feather stitching). Both sides are zippered pockets for putting your floss or other items in. The little black pocket is for pens or scissors. I have a pair of scissors in it in the picture. You can see my scrissor fob  (blue) in the picture and a close up of it below.
Finally, I wanted to share this crazy, beautiful scissor fob I made. I bought the supplies and pattern for this several years ago, and it's been sitting unfinished for quite awhile. Once I actually started reading the pattern and instructions for making it, I realized that it is made up of thousands of tiny little french knots - using 1 strand of floss!!! That's why it's been sitting unfinished. Well, one of the challenges in our guild this year is to finish unfinished projects (UFO's). So I pulled this out and forced myself to finish it. There are supposed to be 1100 knots per inch - not sure mine is that intricate, but I am pleased with the results. Hope you like it - thanks for sticking with me through all these long explanations!

No comments:

Post a Comment