Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Papertrey Stitched Butterfly and Egg Barrettes

Hello! I've been playing with my new Papertrey Stitched Butterfly and Egg dies, designed by the one and only Erin Lincoln. I used the Clever Barrette dies and the Butterfly die to make a barrette for my granddaughter. I really like how this one turned out. So pretty for spring and Easter!
 The egg die was a bit big for the Clever barrette - it mostly covered the whole thing up - so I decided to try to make a barrette out of just the egg itself. The first time around - the egg on the right - I used some non-Papertrey felt (I know - shame on me!). The stitching holes on this die in particular are very close to the edge of the diecuts, and some of the holes tore through when I stitched around them. If you look at the close up of this egg, you might be able to see that I did a blanket stitch around the edge - trying to seal the two outer layers together.
Below is the non-Papertrey felt egg, blanket stitched around the edge. Edges of the felt were more fuzzy than the Papertrey felt.
 The egg above was done with all Papertrey felt, and still had some issues with the holes tearing, but not as bad as the first one. I did a regular back stitch around the edges of this one.
In order to make these into barrettes, I cut out a second whole egg - this one without the inside holes - and cut a small slit for the clip to fit through. I used the 2" clips that I use in the Clever barrette, and they just barely fit inside. It would be nice to find a 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" clip to use instead. I tried little 1" clips I had on hand for baby barrettes, but the egg ends flopped around too much.


I'm sure the egg dies would work wonderfully on paper, but they were a challenge on felt. Alot of stitching involved too. Maybe it would be nice to make one of the plain eggs with a heart on the front instead. I'll try that next. These barrettes will go in my granddaughter's Easter basket. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment