Saturday, March 29, 2014

Watercolor Fun

Hello! I jumped on the watercolor bandwagon the other day after seeing so many gorgeous watercolored cards on blogs and forums. I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a fairly cheap set of watercolors, a small 4 x 6 pad of watercolor paper and some inexpensive brushes. I saw a thread on the Papertrey forum that had a link to this video by Jennifer McGuire on watercoloring over sentiments. The forum thread suggested using this technique on Wet Paint, a Papertrey set I recently received, so I thought I would give it a try. I have a long way to go on the watercolor road, but here are a couple futile attempts.
 This one used a stencil I had bought recently at a quilt show. For some reason, I feel the need to distress the edges of my watercolor piece. Not sure why...
This card uses Year of Flowers: Rose, and Wet Paint sets. It was pretty easy to watercolor over the love sentiment.
This card uses the Bold Bouquet anniversary set, and again Wet Paint. Love the rainbow look on the sentient. I tried to recreate the rainbow colors with the flowers, but not entirely happy with that. I am used to things being clean and clear - guess I'm trying to adjust to the "looseness" of watercolor!  I am entering this card for Papertrey's Make It  Monday #158 - Stamping with Watercolor Mediums. I just painted the watercolors onto the stamps (flowers and leaves) with my watercolor brush. Thanks for looking! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards - especially the rose one! I'd say you're a watercolor natural ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fun cards, I love the look of watercolour and it can be used in so many techniques when making cards. Don't stress about the "unfinished" look you have achieved, it's great! Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cards. I thought of using the technique that Jennifer used on Wet Paint also as soon as I get it. It was delayed in shipping. Think I should get it tomorrow. Can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the rainbow effect on the third card. It's so pretty and it's so wonderful how watercolor just blends beautifully on your card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the watercolouring of your sentiments - fab cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I think you're an instant expert, as all of these are gorgeous! Love the rose in the middle, think it should have a frame, and so love the 'wet paint' script done in different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somebody's been having a bit of fun with watercolor- these are beautiful! I love how the Wet Paint sentiment looks when it's watercolored!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the watercolored rose! The rainbow thanks is fabulous too - I hope to finally play with Wet Paint this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all wonderful--and I need to give a special shout out to the 2nd card with the rose. Drop dead gorgeous is that one!

    ReplyDelete